(Image found on Google Images)
If you don’t want to read a whole book, you may enjoy a short story. Because these stories are so short, I’m giving only a genre and a 1-sentence synopsis.
1. The Landlady by Roald Dahl (Genre: horror)
A young man checks into a seemingly normal bed-and-breakfast.
2. Tobermory by H. H. Munro (Genre: comedy)
A cat can talk, becoming the viral hero of the 1800s.
3. The Open Window by H. H. Munro (Genre: suspense)
A girl tells a story to a guest.
4. The Monkey’s Paw by W. W. Jacobs (Genre: horror)
A boy receives a mummified monkey’s paw that can grant three wishes.
5. The Birthmark by Nathaniel Hawthorne (Genre: science fiction/tragedy)
A man attempts to cure his wife’s birthmark.
Happy (short) reading!